The Mission of St. John’s Outreach Committee is guided by our five core values: Worship, Spirituality, Parish Community, Children & Youth, and Outreach. Our goals are:
- To build a year-round parish outreach program that strengthens community life at St. John’sand serves the needs of the poor and disenfranchised.
- To support individuals, committees, and groups seeking to launch and facilitate projects.
- To encourage joint efforts with other parishes and organizations seeking to address local concerns as well as national and international needs.
Our high school youth traveled twice to New Orleans and had the privilege of assisting in the re-building of a home destroyed by Hurricane Katrina and helping in a summer camp program. They also went to the Jersey Shore and helped with the recovery after Super Storm Sandy. In our interim year of 2014, we participated in a mission trip through Team Effort in July.
Current projects include volunteer activity with:
The men’s shelter is an outreach of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Paterson. With the help of over 300 volunteers and 40 congregations, including St. John’s, shelter residents receive delicious, hot meals each day. Our church prepares, delivers, and serves an evening meal for 25-35 men, one night per month.
Click here to see a list of frequently asked questions about the men's shelter.
- The Human Needs Food Pantry
- The Seamen's Church Institute (donations of knitted items)
- North Porch: Shelter for women and their children
- MESH Montclair Emergency Services for the Homeless
- 4Cs of Passaic County: 4Cs is an organization which provides childcare subsidies to low income families, as well as certified training for child care providers, and resource and referral services in underserved communities. During the holiday season, St. John’s sponsors a winter coat drive for this organization’s neediest families.
We not only provide monetary donations to these organizations, but also goods in kind which are generously donated by our parishioners. The money is collected through parish dinners, concerts, and donations.
If you are interested in participating in one of our outreach activities or have an idea for a new one, contact Donna Bess at Donna_Bess@msn.com.
St. John's strives to be an inclusive community of faith, transcending age, ability, race/ethnicity, financial means, family structure, sexual orientation, gender identity, etc. We have invested in improvements to reduce physical barriers in our historic buildings, and provide ampliying devices for those with limited hearing at our services. We are a Believe Out Loud Episcopal Congregation and a Proud Parish Partner of Integrity, the Episcopal Church's principal LGBT organization. We make our facilities available for a number of community groups to meet.
We have responded with prayer, our time and resources times of crisis such as natural disasters and periods of particular hardship in our community, our nation, and the world, and continue to seek new opportunities to serve.